Drainage Issues

Q: Are drainage approvals necessary on my farm?

A: If you are a landowner who has drainage on your land then you most likely need a drainage approval. Drainage is any action taken, or intended, for the removal or lessening of the amount of water from land, including beaver dam removal and includes deepening, straightening, widening or diversion of the course of a stream, creek, or other watercourse, as well as the construction of dykes.

Q: Are my drainage works ‘grandfathered’?

A: No.  No works are grandfathered because all drainage works cause impacts, no matter when they are constructed.

Please discuss with staff at the Water Security Agency regional office at 306-446-7450 prior to any drainage, as you will most likely need a drainage approval.

Also See:

What is Drainage

Beaver Dam Removal